co·nun·drum /kəˈnəndrəm/ Noun
1. A confusing and difficult problem or question.
2. A question asked for amusement, typically one with a pun in its answer; a riddle.
I wish the definition of our conundrum was #2! Sadly, there are no puns or riddles here. Our kitchen cabinets need to be painted and they need to be painted ASAP! These beasts are outdated and making our entire space look dark and dreary.
We need to get this project done and out of the way so we can start actually using our cabinets. We are officially all moved and we currently don’t have a place to store any kitchen supplies due to this project. Not only are we in the middle of this cabinet painting project, but we also just had a new dishwasher installed into our otherwise dishwasher-less kitchen. Since there was no dishwasher to begin with, our installer, Mike from Hammertime in Hazlet (what a guy!), had to cut a portion of the base cabinets to fit the new dishwasher. Because our cabinets are older, they weren’t designed with a dishwasher in mind, so we actually lost 1 whole cabinet and a portion of a 2nd. However, not to fear! At Mike’s suggestion, we purchased a new, 18″ base cabinet and 6 inches of filler to close the gap. Since most modern cabinet doors look very different from our outdated 1950s, flat-looking doors, we opted for a base cabinet with 3 drawers instead of the traditional 1 drawer and a door.
Of course, we also have some concern about how this baby will fit in when it joins the rest of our freshly painted cabinets. Will there be a noticeable difference in color? Will it be obvious that the drawers are newer than the rest of the cabinets? We’re not sure, but we’re willing to take the risk!
We were thrilled when our friendly, neighborhood Lowe’s paint expert recommended 1-2-3 Primer to us! With this stuff we didn’t really need to go crazy sanding the shellac off the cabinets.
We started by removing doors and drawers from the cabinets and removing all hardware. We weren’t going to remove the hinges at first, but we realized they are super rusty and obviously it will be easier to paint without having hardware in the way.
In addition to removing the hardware, we also removed some silly mug-hanging apparatuses that were literally stuck on the roof of this shelf.
Andrew’s Mom helped out by cleaning all of the cabinets, doors and drawers to prep for priming and painting. While a few of us were priming and painting, Andrew’s Dad took to the ugly, dirty, brown-looking, plastic windows on the doors.
We busted these puppies right out of the doors. As soon as we get around to it, we plan on applying some new, Lexan ploycarbonate sheets. So far, our research proves that they might be a bit pricey, and we’ll have to cut them to shape and apply them with some sort of adhesive. Maybe between now and then, we will come up with a more cost-effective solution, but for now, that’s the game plan. Stay tuned here for our next post about this kitchen project! We’ve got some sweet before and afters for ya!