New Solution to an Old Problem, Part 2

A kitchen is a key component in any household, but for us it seems to be the one room with the most attainable drastic improvement. By that I mean, it has huge potential to be something impressive. It could almost be the cornerstone of our whole home renovation project, constantly evolving, and constantly improving on a solid foundation. The kitchen itself is fairly large given the size and age of our home. It also has a good amount of natural light, considering the size and style of our windows. We just had to allow it to shine in. I’m not trying to say that we are master renovators or anything, but I do feel strongly about what we’ve done. And how little we’ve actually spent on all of it. There are some obvious things that could be done, that are a bit out of budget for us at this point. The most obvious of those is new counter tops, but even that doesn’t seem unattainable.

Refinished Cabinet Door

Back to the matter at hand, the cabinet remodeling. So with the beadboard in place on the cabinet doors, the logical next step was to hang them. We bought the hardware for these ages ago. Sounds like good planning, but with this house, nothing seems to go perfectly right on the first try.

Cabinet Hardware

To make a long story short, the cabinets were evidently a custom build and none of them are exactly the same size. They also don’t exactly meet the standards of today’s cabinet hardware. None of the hardware we bought at Lowe’s went on without a little bit of trial and error. No matter how much I measured before hand, as soon as I threw the door up, I’d need to make an adjustment. Eventually they were all up, in the right place and complete with new hardware.

Freshly Painted Drawer

The other part of this project that we’d been waiting on finishing is the new cabinet/drawer that was installed with the dishwasher. It was installed out of necessity because the old cabinet and dishwasher didn’t fit in the same space at all. It came unfinished and we never painted it.

Painting Around Cabinet Hardware

Painting Hung Cabinet Doors

We painted the drawers and also touched up the cabinet doors.

Freshly Painted Cabinets

Now, 5 months later, we’ve finally finished our kitchen cabinet project. It seems like nothing is without trial and error, and this kitchen was no exception. I guess no one gets anything right the first time, and no one’s first draft is ever their final draft. At times this felt like a dark cloud looming over our heads, but now that it’s done and it makes sense it feels pretty good.

Kitchen Cabinet Before and After

2 thoughts on “New Solution to an Old Problem, Part 2

Leave a Reply