Contrary to popular belief, we still have a blog.To prove that, here’s a little something we whipped up as part of our living room redesign.
After over 6 years, we got ourselves a new couch. Along with that new couch, we moved our coffee table, and replaced it with an ottoman. Still following? Well, I hate to admit it, but we like to eat meals in the living room fairly often, and an ottoman just isn’t a sturdy table to eat off of. So, we decided to get ourselves a serving tray for drinks and plates. We didn’t see anything we totally loved, so we made one. We started with a basic wooden tray that we picked up at a craft store and painted it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I’ve made things with milk paint before, and working with chalk paint is similar.
While preparing this tray I quickly realized that it needed something extra to support the weight of drinks and plates so I reinforced it with two pieces of plywood on the top and bottom.
The tray is about 12″ x 12″, so I bought a piece of 24″ x 12″ plywood and scored and split it.
Chalk Paint is really easy to work with and doesn’t require priming. You could probably get away with 1 coat, but I did two. I painted the sides and handles but left the bottom and top unpainted because that’s where the plywood will be going.
I used wood glue to attach the plywood insert and let it sit overnight with some weight on it.
While the glue was drying, I painted the insert for the other side.
That right there is clear wax. To seal the chalk paint a regular poly won’t really work, it needs two coats of clear wax.
The wax can be applied with a cloth, but also needs to set and then be buffed. I did one coat, buffed it out, let it sit overnight, and then did it all again. This should provide a watertight seal.
There’s the final product. I think it looks pretty good with our other decor and it fit pretty well on the ottoman.
I’ve seen a lot of info online about how chalk paint is difficult to work with, but I found it really easy to handle. We bought a relatively small amount of it and it went a long way. I’d like to try it on some other projects in the future, it seems like a good alternative to traditional paint and finishes.